Free k-4 Bus Transportation
We are pleased to share that Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary will begin offering free bus transportation to and from school for students in grades K-4. Provided by the NYC Department of Education’s Office of Pupil Transportation (OPT), this yellow bus service will be a fantastic way for Manhattan residents to more easily reach Girls Prep. Once bus stops are assigned by OPT in the fall, we will send each family information on the assigned stop as well as morning pick-up and afternoon drop-off times. Please see below for more details.
Students are assigned to a safe predetermined bus stop by OPT. Students use the same stop both in the morning and the afternoon. Bus route information includes pick up and drop off times: students must be at the stop when the bus arrives. Based on enrollment, schools may have multiple stops and routes to serve their students.
In order for a student to receive yellow bus service, each of the following criteria must be met:
- The student must be eligible for full fare transportation;
- The student must be in grades K-6
- The student's residence must be in the same district as the school (if attending a public school) or the same borough (if attending a charter or non-public school).
- The student's school must have yellow bus service available for all eligible students
- A bus stop within the student’s grade/distance eligibility exists or can be added to accommodate the student.
If each of the above criteria is met, enrolled students will be assigned a bus stop. Parents of late-registering students may request yellow bus service at their school. School staff will check eligibility and assign the student to a stop or request a new stop through OPT.